Lower Sixth AS
For both double lessons on Tuesday and Wednesday please complete the following 2 past questions in detail with examples and watch the documentaries. They will be handed in during the lesson on Friday:
a) Explain why some places have a high level of landslide and avalanche hazard risk (10) May 2010
b) Explain why the economic losses caused by natural hazards have generally risen over time whereas the number of lives lost has fallen (15) May 2010
Watch the following two documentaries and write notes:
National Geographic Killer Hurricanes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2I8ssDXOwM
Is our weather getting worse ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKL8633DyZ0
Upper Sixth A2
For both double lessons on Tuesday and Wednesday please complete the following work in detail. It will be handed in during the lesson on Thursday (along with your work from the mid-term break):
Read p 66-73 Phillip Allan (yes Philippos Allanis, Max!) and answer the following Qs in detail:
1. Define: diversity, genetic diversity, species diversity, ecosystem diversity
2. What are the factors that influence biodiversity on a i) global/continental scale, ii)regional scale and iii) local scale?
3. How can humans cause change to biodiversity i)directly and ii) indirectly.
4. Describe the global distribution of biodiversity.
5. What is a biodiversity hotspot and what are the three categories of biodiversity hotspot (explain each)
Read the case study on ‘biodiversity in ANWR’ p 94-99 Oxford. Write detailed notes (I know that you already have quite a lot of knowledge from the energy topic!).